10 Benefits to Vitamin C
15 August, 2013
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin. Your body doesn’t retain vitamin C and any excess is released. The human body can’t produce vitamin C on its own, but it is vital to our health. Having the right levels of vitamin C is related to a number of diverse health benefits.
Here’s a quick list:
- Stress – Vitamin C is beneficial to individuals whose immune system has been weakened due to stress.
- Colds – Vitamin C may not cure the common cold but some studies have shown that it may reduce the duration of the cold and it may help reduce the chance of serious complications such as pneumonia.
- Stroke – High vitamin C intake has been linked with lower risk of stroke. One Japanese study showed a 29% lower risk for those with high levels of vitamin C in their blood.
- Heart Disease – Vitamin C may protect against arterial damage thereby lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Osteoarthritis – Vitamin C is essential for the body to make collagen, which is a part of normal cartilage. Cartilage is destroyed in osteoarthritis, putting pressure on bones and joints.
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) – Vitamin C is key to eye health and studies have shown that the eye may need plenty of vitamin C to function properly. Studies have shown that vitamin C in combination with other antioxidants can prevent or slow the progress of AMD.
- Asthma – Some studies show that low levels of vitamin C are more common in people with asthma linking low levels of vitamin C with the occurrence of asthma.
- Cataracts – Some studies show increased blood levels of vitamin C are associated with decreased risk of cataracts.
- Gout – Vitamin C may be useful in lowering serum uric acid levels, resulting in a correspondingly lower incidence of gout.
- Skin Aging – Higher vitamin C intakes are associated with a lower likelihood of a wrinkled appearance, dryness of the skin, and a better skin-aging appearance.
While the role of vitamin C is still being studied, one thing is very clear: vitamin C is key to overall health. Its benefits are many and diverse. Vitamin C Complex from Progressive has 600 mg per capsule. Vitamin C Complex is formulated for optimal absorption and antioxidant protection with 7 vitamin sources, 8 fruit extracts and 7 support nutrients.